Monday, August 8, 2011

Shepherd reunion 2011

  I have been thinking a lot on the subject of family.  Why are we placed in families? Why is the need to have a father and a mother so important? and how can we learn and apply what our ancestor have learned and been through into our own lives today?

 This Saturday we went to a family reunion for Kent's mother's side of the family. I had a great time meeting aunts, cousins and Kent's grandpa (Bill) 's brother Farrell and his wife. what a cute couple?! meeting them make me wish I had the chance to meet Grandpa Bill and Grandma honey Shepherd. I wish I had the chance to grow up with Grandparents. The only one I new was Abuelito Manuel ( my Mother's father).  He passed away when I was 12 years old and now I wish I had asked more about him as a child and about his family. The rest of my grandparents died back in the 70's so for sure I never did get a chance with them.  
For some (like my dear husband), family reunions are not a big deal.  But this was my first time I had ever attended an "american" family reunion and it was fun! it was full of yummy food, games, and lots of time to meet everyone. But most importantly to see how much a family grows all because two people decided to form a family. And seeing how 3 generations later the gospel is still part of their lives, is awesome.

 I am so proud to be part of the Everett/Shepherd family. This is the kind of family I girl dreams of marrying into. We are so blessed to be surrounded by so much love and support. How many can say that they trust and rely on their mother in-law and sister in-laws? I really am not boasting here but merely seeing for myself how much I am blessed. I believe that it is through the principle we are taught concerning family that help us see beyond what the world professes we should see "daughter in laws" "mother in laws" "extended families" "wives" "husbands" etc...  

 Christ through his modern day Prophets has reminded us of the importance of families with what is called The Family: A Proclamation to the World  
 Eleven of my cousins and I are the first generation to be raised in the church. I pray that as we grow and our families grow, that we can be proud to say that our generations followed our examples.  This is the time to strengthen our bonds and put a side our differences. We may be busy with living in this world but what we need is to strengthen the relationships with those that we will be seeing after this life.
There is a story in the August 2011 issue of the Ensign that just touched my heart. its called "Two Pioneers across two centuries". When I read it, I couldn't help but cry and thank heavenly father for the blessings of gospel in my life. 



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...